Take your mussel game to a new level with this mussels in chorizo sauce recipe. The spicy, tomato sauce in combination with our fresh Foyle mussels will put you in the holiday mood, invoking memories of tasty tapas at a sunny, seaside restaurant.
- Finely chop the shallot, chilli and garlic.
- In a pot, heat the oil then add the shallot and sauté until it is translucent.
- Add the chilli and garlic to the pot and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes, stirring continually.
- Slice the chorizo and add to the shallot, chilli and garlic to fry slightly and release some of its flavour.
- Add in the tomatoes. If you’re using whole tomatoes, remove the skin and chop into small pieces before adding them to the pot.
- Allow the tomatoes to cook for five minutes after they come to the boil.
- Next, pour in the cream and wine and bring to the boil again.
- Finally, add the mussels to sauce, placing a lid on top and cook until the mussel shells have opened – this usually takes between 5 to 8 minutes.
- Serve with some chopped parsley and crusty bread to soak up the sauce.