This hearty, beer-steamed mussels dish is a tasty little diversion from the more traditional moules marinière. The beer and root vegetable stock give these mussels an autumnal feel and flavour that’ll have you coming back for seconds.
- Finely chop the carrots, celery, and shallots.
- In a medium-sized pot, melt the butter and add in the chopped celery, shallots, and carrots then sauté for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Mince or grate the garlic and add it to the pot then cook for another minute, or until fragrant.
- Pour the beer in with the vegetables and bring to the boil.
- Add the mussels and spinach to the pot and cook until all the mussels have opened – discard any that don’t open.
- Finally, stir in the cream and serve your beer-steamed mussels in a deep bowl with some sourdough bread on the side.